Sunday, September 1, 2013

Our Story: Everybody has one

I wanted to share a little bit about our background story.  It hasn't been a short journey to get to where we are now.  This actually started out as a document that we had to send to the agency as they wanted to know our story behind having difficulty conceiving (yeah- no secrets with adoption agencies!) After I started writing it I realized that there was not "short" explanation.  This is our story.  Every couple has one that details the whys, whens, and whos of why they decided on adoption.  Of course - I didn't realize that we had a story until tonight.  But I guess we all do, don't we? :)

Our Story:

We were very blessed in April 2011 when our son Micah was born.  We had absolutely -zero- difficulty conceiving Micah and were actually surprised by how easy it was! Once Micah was about three to four months old, we thought about trying to have another baby (as crazy as that thought now seems looking back on it!) We soon realized that conceiving the second time around wasn’t going to be as easy.  Honestly, this didn’t bother us; between the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives and work schedules, one thing after another always popped up that made us say, “thank goodness we don’t have another baby!” At the time Micah was born we were living in a quaint three-bedroom house of 1200 square feet.  Adequate enough for two adults and one child; but no room for another baby.  This also added to our “it’s okay” mentality for not having another baby.  We briefly discussed the idea of adoption, but never pursued it, thinking it would be too difficult or too expensive.  I always believed that “what happened would happen” and in leaving my/our future in God’s hands.  I knew that if God wanted us to have another baby, it would happen in His own time. 

I went to my gynecologist for my annual exam last year (2012) and no problems were found.  I contemplated several times about seeking fertility treatments; but I did not want to put all of my “eggs” into a “fertile” basket with no guarantees.  I didn’t want to be one of “those women” who spends thousands upon thousands of dollars and faces treatment after treatment to have a baby.  I also didn’t see the sense in pursuing options of having another biological child when I knew there were children out there that needed a home.  The lack of other options really boils down to one central aspect: I didn’t have peace with going through fertility treatments, and I couldn’t move forward with something I didn’t have peace about.  Our preacher once told me that you know you’re living in God’s will when you have peace; so I knew there was something else around the bend waiting for us.

It wasn’t until the beginning of this year (2013) that something in my heart was stirred.  Not just stirred – but truly grieved.  I saw friends having second and third children so easily and quickly – and it hurt.  It hurt the very depths of my heart.  I yearned for another child – I wanted another child so deeply; but I felt as though I was out of options.  My heart was truly broken as menstrual cycle after menstrual cycle came.  My heart gave up on having another child; but it was still hard to accept.

Shortly after we moved into our new house in December, 2012, I started attending our neighbor’s women’s Bible study that they host out of their house.  They were covering Genesis when I jumped into the study.  I didn’t know it at the time – but God was at work.  God not only blessed us with awesome, godly neighbors – but God put us in just the right place at just the right time.  We came to the story of Abraham and Sarah.  Reading through that story and listening to the associated podcast truly changed my heart.  God showed me through that study that good things are worth waiting for.  God also showed me that Sarah only had one son – and that son truly made a difference for all mankind.  The Bible never mentions Sarah’s emotions after having her only son Isaac – but it made me realize that she was truly happy with what God had given her.  I didn’t have to have a large family to be happy.  My duty as a mom was/is to invest as much about God as I can into my only son so that he can leave behind a legacy.  This gave me peace.

A couple that used to go to our church started sending out emails about their “adoption journey from China” in April, 2013.  I would briefly skim over these emails and didn’t think much of them to begin with.  I think this is mostly because I didn’t want to learn more about something that wasn’t possible (again thinking that adoption was way too expensive and impossible).  I didn’t want to give myself false hope.  But - I started to pray.  I prayed for my heart and for the heart of my husband.  I asked God to open our hearts and our minds to adoption if that was what He wanted. 

In May, 2013 I started seeing a little girl adopted from Haiti for speech therapy services (I work in Early Childhood Intervention as a speech-language pathologist and work with children who are birth to three years old).  I have worked with adopted/foster kids before and have always been eager to learn how to teach them to communicate (since these skills are usually absent in 0-3 year olds who have been abused/neglected).  Little “H” (name changed for privacy) was a bright, vibrant little one who was recently diagnosed with severe-profound hearing loss in both ears.  Her adoptive mom had no idea when they brought her home that she was Deaf; it was “conveniently” left out of her history according to the orphanage she came from.  The little two-year-old was already picking up signs and showed awesome potential for communicating.  Again – God was working.

In July I stopped seeing “H” for speech therapy due to insurance issues with her therapy.  I emailed her adoptive mom a couple weeks afterwards just asking for advice and general info on adoption.  She emailed me back with the surprising news that she was actually a missionary in the states that helped families through the foster/adoptive process.  I was blown away! Right then and there I knew God was moving us in a specific direction.  I remember telling the mom (Tiffany S.) – “I have no idea what I’m doing – but I’d like to learn more.”

And now, here we are.  I have never had more peace and more joy than I do in this moment.  I know God has led us to where we are right now for a purpose.  God’s plan is always perfect.  His plans never falter.  The joy that fills my heart when I think about our next son or daughter has been worth my heartache.  Now – my heart aches to hold that sweet child against my chest and tell them, “it’s okay.” My heart yearns to sweep that precious child in my arms and give them the love they deserve.  Do we know what we’re doing? Not really.  Do we know what we’re getting ourselves into?  Absolutely not.  But are we where we should be? Without a doubt – yes.  And there’s no better place to be than right in the middle of God’s will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment