Sunday, October 7, 2012

Camp, 2012

At our annual trip to church camp this past July Ray and I were very uncertain how we were going to have the means to pay the bills when we got back from camp.  I guess I should back up a bit.

First and foremost, Ray and I had previously concurred that camp wasn't going to be possible this year.  Ray had to have TWO surgeries to remove bilateral hernias (surgeries that cost him three months of work).  Our savings was shot - we were barely making ends meet with my part-time salary and his full time with no paid time off.  Camp seemed like an impossibility.  God made it happen.  Through generous donations of our church, we were put up in a cabin at camp with all costs paid for.  (Blessing #1).

One morning on our way up the hillside for morning class, God showed something to me in the sand.  (Blessing #2).

You see, for several years now any time Ray and I find a dime, we call it "blessings from God." This is a term first "coined" (haha) by our preacher's wife's mom before she died.  It's been amazing to see where we'll find dimes - on the curb next to our car, in our pockets, in some desolate parking lot, etc. etc.  We especially seem to find these dimes when we need to be reminded of God's blessings the most.

Let's go back to camp.  On our way up the hillside in beautiful, cool Colorado, I was very depressed and concerned with how we were going to make ends meet once we got back home.  Then I saw it.  A dime, halfway covered in the sand close to my feet.  "Seriously?" I thought.  It brought tears to my eyes.  If I didn't get anything else out of that week at camp, that dime was enough.  It reminded me that God is always in control, no matter where we are or what we're going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment