Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Part-time opportunity

I was just remembering when God opened the doors for me to decrease my hours at work to part-time.  It was something that I had prayed off and on for - but after seeing Micah grow up and knowing I was missing so many things because I was working 40+ hours a week, my heart was broken.  I can't even begin to tell how much I wept over not being able to be with my son.  It was tearing me apart - and seeing him cry when I dropped him off at daycare didn't make things any easier.

So, one Friday before the morning began, God pricked my heart to fast that day.  This was something that I had never done before.  But putting the basic need for food aside and instead filling my "eating" moments with prayer instead made both God and myself realize that I was truly serious about this desire in my life.  I simple couldn't imagine continuing to work full time anymore - I couldn't do it.

To put it plainly, God had already been opening some doors for me that week.  My previous home-health job inquired if I could pick up a couple clients.  Of course, with a 40+ hour work schedule, this wouldn't be possible; but with a part-time schedule, it could.  Not to mention that home health pays double what ECI pays, which would help things level out.

I wasn't sure what God wanted me to do with this information.  That was another reason why I fasted that day - for guidance.  I didn't know what to do.  I had some office time at work that day and I talked to my boss.  I didn't see how it would be possible for me to decrease my hours - but thankfully God had a plan.  My boss told me that there was actually another SLP who was wanting to work with ECI, but we didn't currently have any openings.  I could have cried in astonishment - this was my way out.  God provided another SLP to take over some of my case load for me, and within a month I was working part-time and spending more time at home with my son.

God showed me that day that prayer makes anything possible.  Fasting that day got me closer to Him than ever before.  I'm so grateful to have a relationship with a God that cares about me and my desires - and who has provided an "out" for me every time I need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment